GAMEBANANA MODDING PAGE
They're super. They're freaky! And they star in the secret best platformer this year!
Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition was featured at SAGE 2022 and SAGE 2023, where it was one of the most talked about games of the event. Many games at SAGE 2023 had Super Freaks cameos!
Super Freaks 1 Ultimate Edition is a 2D platformer featuring single player and up to four player drop-in/drop-out cooperative gameplay.
Go to the right, jump on enemy heads, reach the exit, all of that standard stuff. When you select a level, you can choose between any of the Super Freaks before playing, as well as a whole host of other unlockable characters. There are over 20 characters total! You can also create and load custom characters; see the Gamebanana page above for more info on how!
Every level can be played in one of three difficulty modes (Easy, Normal, Hard) that changes the level layouts. You can also set the minimum amount of hearts you start with (upon death or starting a level) and the maximum amount of hearts you can have (default is 10, max is 99). You can also set three modifiers: a Mirror Mode, Fast Forward (speeds everything in the level up by 1.5x with a few exceptions to make it actually possible), and a Game Over screen so you too can suffer permadeath!
Compared to other platformers, the Super Freaks have a few extra tricks up their hypothetical sleeves, so let’s go over those:
- Left Arrow Key, A
- Left on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
- Right Arrow Key, D
- Right on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
- Up Arrow Key, W
- Up on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
- Down Arrow Key, S
- Down on D-Pad or Left Analog Stick
- ESC, Enter Key
- Start Button
- Z, Space, Left Click
- A on Xbox, X on PlayStation
- X, Right Click
- B on Xbox, Circle on PlayStation
- C, Right Click
- Y on Xbox, Triangle on PlayStation
- C, Q
- LT on Xbox, L1 on PlayStation
- V, E
- RT on Xbox, R2 on PlayStation
- Select on Xbox, Home on PlayStation
- In an attempt to emulate their beloved Uncle Swordsman’s blade, the Super Freaks pioneered a spinning jump attack. Jumping at all will curl the player into a ball, which spins so fast that it’s surrounded by an energy field. This will let the player attack enemies at any angle. If an enemy is big enough, the player will bounce off of it.
- You can also wall jump! Hold against a wall in the air to begin sliding against it. Jump again while doing so to jump away from the wall. You can keep jumping between two walls in rapid succession to climb up them.
- You might come across some Climbing Fences in your not really epic journey. When touching a Climbing Fence, press the up button to grab onto the fence. You can climb around in eight directions while grabbing on a fence, and you can let go at any time by jumping off. Be careful though! Some Climbing Fences will begin to move or even fall when you grab on.
- You can also climb on poles! Press left/right to flip to the other side of the pole.
- Hooks are another thing you can hang off of. You can simply jump and land on a hook to begin hanging from it. You can either jump off or hold down while pressing jump to fall straight down, both of which will come in handy.
- In cooperative play, joining the game mid-level or pressing the bubble button will place you inside a bubble. When in a bubble, you’ll bounce around the screen, but you can hold the jump or bubble button to move towards another player. The other players will need to pop your bubble to free you. This move is useful if there’s a difficult section you know you can’t do but your friends can! It’s also useful for saving yourself from a bottomless pit at the last minute. Just don’t all of you bubble at the same time!
- Pressing the Elastiband button will turn on/off your Elastiband. If more than one player has their Elastiband active, you’ll be connected to each other by a big rubber band, like in Knuckles Chaotix. You can yank each other around with the Elastiband, which is good if one of you is falling behind in any way.
- You can also change the color of your Elastiband between two separate colors, and you will only connect to people with the same color Elastiband.
If one of you is dangling in the air below your buddies, you can also hold the down button to lower yourself. Letting go will slingshot you straight up in the air so you can join your friends. Be careful not to dangle too low, or you’ll fall off the bottom of the screen!
- Pressing the pause button…pauses the game! What a concept! There are a few things you can do here though, so it’s actually worth me going into detail. You can choose to restart the level, go back to the last checkpoint you hit (a must if you’re grinding for trophies), or exit the level.
- There is also a multiplayer option, which depends on which player paused the game. The current "leader" (Player 1 by default unless they disconnect) will have a “kick players” option and can choose to kick the other players for whatever reason. The other players on the other hand will have a “drop out” option instead and can drop out of play this way.
- You can also remap your controls from the pause menu.
There are a variety of game modes which are pretty dope if you ask me.
- This is the main story mode. Cutscenes will play before and after some levels, which you can fast forward through and/or skip if you don’t like sitting through the stupidest video game storyline you’ve ever seen.
- You can replay any level you’ve completed without cutscenes or anything. Good for quick plays and practice! You can still grab trophies here to unlock things.
- An endless survival mode. Here, every level you’ve beaten is thrown at you in random order. Unlike in the main game, you are guaranteed to get a game over if you lose your lives, so watch out!
- You must beat several levels back-to-back as fast as possible. At the end, you’ll see your time. There is a total of 10 (!!) speedrun modes; one for each world in the game (unlocked by beating every level including the secret level in that world), one containing every main story level, one containing every secret level, and one featuring every level in the game.
- The good old boss rush: fight every boss in a row. Your hearts stack between fights, but you can game over here, so don’t slip up!
- Any character you meet in the game will have a bio appear in this mode. You can read all about that character. This saves me from having to exposition dump during the cutscenes!
- Wanna watch the X-Freaks get beat up in seconds again? Any cutscene you view in the Adventure mode will appear here for repeated viewing. You can also see the credits!